Sunday, October 26, 2014

My First Quilt



That right there is my first quilt. I made it when I was 12 years old. I had barely a clue what I was doing but I was so proud of it. All of the fabrics were purchased at a local quilt shop that is still open in Savannah. I had taken a class there (more like sewing camp) for five days that summer and learned the parts of a sewing machine, how to care for my machine, how to use all of the various stitches and any other basics a little girl might need. At the end of the class, my mom helped me pick out each fabric with care.  I still remember where each fabric was in the store that day.

I have very vivid memories of working with the fabric and loving it more and more as the quilt grew. The little shooting stars on green fabric made no sense to me, but I loved them. I knew that I didn't want the plaid to be at an angle, so I cut it very carefully. I had a pattern in mind and it all worked out quite nicely, but to this day I can show you the three places where I "messed up".

I took this quilt everywhere with me. If I was sleeping somewhere, the quilt was with me. Church camp every summer. France and Spain sophomore year of high school. Sleepovers all throughout middle school. College. France for 3 months. Absolutely everywhere.

It was after the second round in France that I decided, for the sake of the quilt, to retire it. The edges are ripped open on almost every side. The polyester batting is terribly separated throughout the quilt. The fabric is frighteningly thin. It has been loved as much as a quilt could possibly be loved. It has served its purpose. To comfort, provide warmth and be "home" to me wherever I was.

I've been thinking about this quilt a lot over the past few weeks. As we open up our online shop for Immeasurable, I can't shake the feeling of nostalgia and gratitude that is so engrained in this craft that the Lord has put in my path. This quilt was sewn on my mom's machine. It is much heftier than my current machine and doesn't bounce when you put the pedal to the floor. The reverse stitch button is located in a totally different place than my current one, but my hand still goes to that old place first.

I have my Granny's sewing basket by my table with an afghan she couldn't finish before she passed away. On my fabric shelf is a hand-stitched table runner from my Grandma. She hand sews a simple baby blanket for each great-grandchild upon their arrival. My brother's son is next. Some say these are just "things" but to me they are time and story and prayers and blessing.

That is how I learned to sew. With patience and grace, prayer and perseverance. Everything I make, whether to gift or sell, is intended to bless the life of the recipient. It would be a waste if I sewed for any other purpose.

We are opening our shop on Saturday. I'll post more details here before the week is out but right now I am choosing to rest and be grateful for this way of life that I am so blessed to sew.

No comments:

Post a Comment